Thanks to the barking of the family pet, a couple and their son safely escaped an early-morning blaze Monday, officials said.
Roxanne, the family’s five-year-old English bulldog, has been credited with saving Michael Herlihy, his wife Susan, and their son, Kevin from a house fire early Monday morning in Huntington, New York.
The Huntington Fire Department said the dog alerted the sleeping family after the blaze broke out around 1:30 a.m. at the home on Dumbarton Drive. When firefighters arrived, the fire had spread to the second floor of the home, and heavy smoke and flames were seen shooting through the roof, fire officials said. Around 50 firefighters from neighborhin fire stations took approximately 90 minuts to bring the fire under control
Homeowner Michael Herlihy, told authorities the family was asleep when the brown and white family pet entered their son’s room and wouldn’t stop barking. Kevin Herlihy, 24, was awakened by the barking and discovered the blaze, and woke up his parents. The whole family, including Roxanne the dog, escaped the fire without injury.
Authorities suspect the fire is a result of an electrical malfunction. The Suffolk Police Arson Squad and Huntington Town Fire Marshal are still investigating.
Roxanne the bulldog is being touted as a hero, however she is not allowed in the motel where the family is staying because of a no pet policy. Instead, she will be staying with a neighbor while the house is being repaired. At the time of this report, the house is uninhabitable, and according to Herlihy, it will be more than nine months all repairs can be done.
Photo Credits: Scott Dalrymple, News 12 Long Island